4 cups wild blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup butter
¾ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pour berries, lemon juice, spices, and sugar into oven-proof baking dish.
- Mix well, then cook uncovered in oven for 10-15 minutes if fresh berries, 20 minutes if frozen.
- While the berries are cooking, combine the remaining dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Cut butter into small pieces and add to flour mix. Use a pastry blender or a fork to blend until the mixture is small, crumbly pieces.
- Crack egg into a cup and beat lightly. Add milk and stir together.
- Add to flour mixture and stir until soft and moist dough is formed.
- Take hot blueberries out of the oven. Using a large spoon or a ½ cup measure, spoon dollops of dough gently onto the top of the hot blueberries until mostly covered.
- Cover dish with tinfoil and return to the oven.
- Baked covered for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, take off tinfoil, and bake uncovered for 10 more minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 15 minutes to allow juice to set.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.