THIS RECIPE APPEARED IN goCapeBreton.com MAGAZINE Issue 1. Read the magazine
2 cups flour
2 tablespoons icing sugar
1 cup butter
2 ¼ cups chopped, pitted dates
1 cup water
¾ cup brown sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup butter
2 ¼ cups icing sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon maple extract
- PREHEAT oven to 325 F (165 C).
- SHELLS: Sift together flour and 2 tablespoons icing sugar in a bowl. Cut in 1 cup butter and knead until well blended. Form dough into 3/4 inch balls. Press evenly into 1 1/2 inch cups on the bottom and up the sides to form a shell.
- BAKE in preheated oven until pale gold (about 16 minutes). Let shells cool in the pan. Gently loosen and remove them from pan using a knife.
- FILLING: Combine dates, water, brown sugar, and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Mash dates with a fork as they cook. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Allow mixture to cool before spooning into shells.
5. ICING: Cream 1/4 cup butter in a small bowl with an electric mixer. Gradually add 1 cup of sugar while continuing to mix. Add the milk, remaining 1 1/4 cups sugar, and maple extract. Beat at high speed until smooth. Icing should be thick enough to pipe. Spoon mixture into pastry bag with a small round or star-shaped tip. Pipe a swirl of icing on each tart.