PHOTO CREDIT Scott McIntyre Photographer
2 large onions, diced small
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced carrots
¼ cup butter
1 cup white wine
4 litres chicken broth
5 sprigs of fresh thyme
1 pound of butter
3 ½ cups flour
1 cup 35% cream
1 tablespoon of sea salt
1 tablespoon of cracked pepper
2 - 3 pounds of fresh seafood (any combination) in chunks
- In a large pot, melt the ¼ cup of butter and sautee the finely diced onions, celery and carrots on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the white wine, chicken broth and fresh thyme to the vegetables. Bring to a boil for 10 minutes.
- In a separate pot, make a roux by melting 1 pound of butter and gradually adding the flour. Mix with a whisk or wooden spoon until smooth.
- Add roux to boiling broth and whisk.
- Turn off heat and continue to whisk until smooth.
- Pass the mixture through a fine mesh strainer into another pot.
- Add the cream, salt and pepper, and mix.
- Add fresh seafood to mixture, simmer briefly, and serve.